Baggage fee is an important component of your flight ticket price. Overlooking it can cost you to pay a significant amount making your flight ticket expensive. Before you book flight tickets on United or pack your bags, it is crucial to know United Airlines baggage policy to escape paying any extra United baggage fee and enjoy comfortable and seamless air travel without any surprise. Packing lightly and efficiently will help save money that you can use to buy a souvenir or make your trip more enjoyable.
Want to know how to pack smart for your next flight on United Airlines? Read this blog to know baggage allowance and fees for oversized and overweight bags on United.
All You Need to Know About United Baggage Policy
United Airlines allows every traveler to bring one personal item on every flight regardless of their tickets and fare classes. The United personal item size should not exceed 9” x 10” x 17” (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) and it should suitably fit under the seat in front of the passenger. You can bring a purse, briefcase or backpack, laptop bag, or even a pet carrier of the specified dimension as your personal item.
- You can bring a carry-on bag for free if you have a ticket of the standard economy or upper fare class. The United airlines size of the carry-on bag should be 9” x 14”x 22” and should fit into the overhead bin.
- If travelers with a Basic Economy ticket bring a full-size carry-on bag to the gate and they are not MileagePlus premium members, bags will go as checked bags for which travelers need to pay an extra $25 as a gate handling charge apart from the checked bag fee.
- However, this rule of basic economy ticket holders not allowed to bring a carry-on bag doesn’t apply to international flights to Asia, Europe, Africa, and Australia where it is complimentary to travel with a carry-on bag.
- If your carry-on bag size is larger than the permitted limit, it will be counted as checked baggage for which you may need to pay the required fees.
- United allows travelers to carry two to three checked bags for which the maximum permissible weight and size limit is 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 inches. For Business and First Class passengers or Elite Status passengers, the weight limit is 70 pounds.
- For a general passenger without any MileagePlus Elite Status, the first checked bag fee is $35 and the second bag will cost $45 for flights within the US, Central America, and the Caribbean.
- If you are a Premium Silver Elite member, you can carry the first checked bag for free while the second checked bag fee will cost you $45. Premium Gold Elite members can travel with two checked bags for free while Premium Platinum Elite members and Premium 1k Elite members can have three checked bags for free.
- If your bag is both oversized and overweight, you will have to incur both oversized and overweight fees on United Airlines.
Tips on Saving Baggage fee in United Airlines
Follow these tips to save maximum on your baggage fee on United Airlines.
- Book tickets in premium Economy, Business, or First class to avail of the two free checked bags allowance when traveling in these classes.
- Achieve United MileagePlus Elite Status of silver, gold, or platinum to carry one to three checked bags for free
- If you are active-duty military personnel, you can take up to five checked bags for free when traveling for official purposes and three checked bags for personal reasons.
- You can avail free checked bag benefits on select United credit cards like United Explorer card, United Business Card, and others.
- Prepay for your bags 24 hours before the departure to save some dollars.
Follow these tips or get expert advice and travel solutions to save your time and money in checking-in bags. Consult experienced travel advisors of Airlineticketworld (ATW) for resolving any United airlines baggage issues.