Flying with your furry friend on a premium airline like Southwest can be daunting especially if you don’t know much about Southwest pet policy and the travel requirements. Your air travel in Southwest with your pet will be enjoyable when you are thoroughly prepared and follow the guidelines and travel requirements accordingly.
If you plan to fly with a domestic cat or dog in Southwest on your next flight, you must be well aware of the specific travel requirements, the pet fare, what specific precautions you need to take, and ways to ensure seamless pet travel.
Southwest Airlines Pet Policy: All You Need to Know
Southwest allows only small domestic cats and dogs to travel with their pet owners in cabins under the seats only on local flights. All pets need to be carried only in the pet carriers that should be within the specified size dimensions. A pet carrier in Southwest airlines should be within 17” long x 9.5” high x 10” wide and can’t exceed the size of 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide.
Check out some crucial factors every pet owner must take care of:
- Pets are allowed on the aircraft on a First-come, First Served basis. Only six pet carriers are allowed on each southwest domestic flight with only one pet carrier allowed for a passenger who has paid for the same.
- For booking a pet, the traveler needs to pay $95 each way for a pet carrier.
- Pet owners can check in their pets only at the airport, however, they can get the boarding pass online, at the airport ticket counter, kiosk, or curbside check-in.
- Pet owners should ensure that their pets are of sound health and don’t show any disruptive behavior.
- If you are traveling to Hawaii you need to follow special rules and requirements that you check here.
- For pet owners traveling to Puerto Rico, they need to check the special requirement here
- You should remember that pet fares if not used can be sought for a refund if you cancel your flight ticket, don’t re-book or your Southwest flight is canceled. You can contact Southwest customer service representatives on call at 1-800-435-9792 or fill out a refund request form at the airport ticket counter.
- Pet owners must make advance reservations on-call or online. They should bring their pets in approved pet carriers. Check your pet in at the airport ticket counter and pay the Pet Fare before heading to the departure gate.
- A passenger can have only one pet carrier in which they can carry one or two pet cats or dogs of the same species.
- The pet carrier should be comfortable and spacious enough to let the pet stand up and move around with ease.
- Regardless of whether you are in the Southwest gate area, boarding or landing, you should ensure that your pet is always in the pet carrier for the complete flight
Contact ATW for Seamless Pet Travel in Southwest
Whether you experience any pet travel issues or find it difficult to plan your trip with your pet, you should hire an experienced online travel agent- Airlineticketworld. Feel free to convey your specific travel requirements and get expert and customized travel solutions.