Unaccompanied minors are children from 5-years to 14 years that travel in a commercial airline like United without a legal guardian in the flight. At times, your child may require going to a summer camp or visiting a family member remotely located in a different city or US State and he or she would be traveling alone in United Airlines. You must know the rules and guidelines of United Airlines Unaccompanied minor policy before you book tickets for your minor children. If a child is between 15-17 years and traveling alone, they can also opt for unaccompanied minor service.
Although compared to Southwest and other airlines, United doesn’t have more affordable unaccompanied minor travel fees. However, it provides excellent care from crew members and in-flight services and amenities. United provides a free snack item and allows boarding of minors before the normal boarding begins.
Here is a checklist of salient features of United Airlines Unaccompanied minor policy.
- Unaccompanied minors can travel only on nonstop United flights. They can’t travel in one-stop flights, direct flights, or codeshare flights or any flight operated by partner airlines.
- Children under 5 years of age can’t travel as unaccompanied minor even when they are with an older unaccompanied child of 15-17 years. They must be with a guardian or an adult of 18 years and above.
- Adolescents of 15-17 years can travel alone on adult tickets in United or United Express flight or they can choose to travel as unaccompanied minors.
- United Airlines charges $150 as service charge along with the ticket charge for 1-2 unaccompanied minors for a one-way trip, which means for a round trip, you need to incur $300. For 3-4 children, it is $300 each way and for 5-6 children, it is $450 each way.
- United Airlines doesn’t allow prior seat selection for unaccompanied minors. The airline allocates the best seat for minors from where they get proper care and attention from flight attendants. You will know where unaccompanied minors will be seated 48 hours prior to the departure.
- When booking unaccompanied minors, you need to fill out a contact form with the details of 2 adults- one dropping off the child/children and another picking up at the arrival airport.
- You can do the booking online or make a reservation by calling the United Airlines customer service agent for which you need to pay a $25 booking service charge.
- Unaccompanied Minors need to be checked in at the airport if they are traveling in a separate reservation.
- The parent or guardian dropping off the minor must arrive at the airport half an hour before their normal arrival for check in to factor in time needed for submitting or verifying the documents.
Consult Airlineticketworld for Seamless Unaccompanied Minor Travel in United
If you find it difficult to book tickets for unaccompanied minors or have any issue related to that, you can consult an esteemed online travel agent- Airlineticketworld (ATW) to resolve all queries and get the best travel solution. Feel free to contact the agent and say goodbye to any hassle or query.